Recreation This Week!
Never Have a Slow Day in Mammoth Again!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week- July 27, 2017
For our last hurrah Parks and Recreation Month presents our 1st Annual Beach Volleyball Tournament this Saturday, July 29th, and this Sunday, July 30th is FREE SWIM DAY at Whitmore Pool. #PlayOnJuly.
Parks and Recreation News…
- 1st Annual Beach Volleyball Tournament- This Saturday, July 29th at Shady Rest Park. Entry is limited, call 760-965-3699 to register. This will be a 4v4, coed, double elimination tournament with great prizes! Get a team together and register today!
- Summer camps
- Softball Scores and Standings
- Whitmore Pool Free Swim Day Sunday July 30th, 12-4PM
- Community Tennis Courts
- Adult Drop-In Clinics are available for intermediate and advanced adults Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:30-5:30, $10.
- FREE Sunday Social, every Sunday from 9:00 to 12:00
- Adult Tennis Camp and Social-Mon, Tues, Thurs (July 31-August 3rd) from 9:00 to 12:00, $95. Call 760-965-3699 to register.
- This Land is Our Land Rally for Public Lands: Thursday, July 27th from 5-8pm in the Stellar Brew parking lot. Live music by the Dreddie Poppins & The Professionals. This rally will coincide with rallies across the nation as well as a massive march in Salt Lake City showing broad public support for public lands.
- VC Bike Races- Downhill Friday, July 21st. Register day of starting at 4pm, races start at 5:30PM.
- The Village Summer Movie Series: Free movies every Thursday and Sunday in the village.
- Villagefest: “The World’s Highest Rib Cook-off”, this Friday July 28-Sunday July 30th. Live music along with cook-offs for best ribs, best chicken and best chili along with a beer and wine garden and much more!
- Kid’s Fishing Festival this Saturday, July 29th from 8am to 1pm. This is a FREE event open to kids ages 14 and under and will take place at the ponds adjacent to the Snowcreek Resort Rental Offices which will be stocked with huge trophy trout. All equipment is provided.
- Fireman’s Picnic, this Sunday, July 30th from 11am to 6pm at Shady Rest Park. Free games and hotdogs for the kids and fun for the whole family! Come out and support our local fire department.
- Bootcamp! Every Saturday and Sunday at Mammoth Creek Park with Steph Paulson. Class is 9:30-10:30 AM and just $10. Bring water, mat and a set of hand weights and get fit while enjoying the great outdoors. All classes are outdoors (hat, sunglasses and sunscreen recommended). No classes August 5th-6th.
- Get Golf Ready at Sierra Star Golf Course continues with Junior clinics on Mondays and Ladies clinics on Wednesdays
- Trek Dirt Series: 2-Day Mountain Bike Camp for women July 29-July 30th. Downhill, Cross-Country or both!
- Friends of the Inyo Series’:
- Saturday, July 29th Friends of the Inyo presents the second edition of: Born of Fire, Sculpted by Ice: Mammoth’s Unique Geology. Join Friends of the Inyo’s Trail Ambassador Alex and learn about the nature of the geology in and around Mammoth where volcanic activity meets glacial erosion. This is a non-strenuous, 2 mile hike of the Inyo Craters loop. Meet at the Inyo Crater Trailhead at 10 AM.
- Sunday, July 30th: Muir and Mt Ritter. Ever wonder what a first known ascent of a 13,000ft peak might feel like? Luckily 19th century mountain man John Muir put his experience into thrilling prose. Join Friends of the Inyo’s Trail Ambassador Alex as we take in the grandiose view of the Ritter Range and hear about the father of the Sierra Club's mountaineering and general life exploits. This is a very short, easy walk to Minaret Vista. Meet at Minaret Vista at 10 am.
- Registration is now open for Mammoth Lakes Flag Football. This is open to all girls and boys age 7-14. There will be one practice and one game per week and will not interfere with soccer schedules. Season kicks off August 19th.
- Saturday, August 5th: Join Mammoth Brewing Company and Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra for trail work on the NEW “Meadow Trail Connector” trail – the second trail this summer from the Sherwin Area Recreation Plan. Work efforts will include new Trail System signage and general trail maintenance – followed by the official ribbon cutting ceremony!
- Sunday, August 6th: Chili Challenge fundraiser for Crowley Lake Skate Park at the Crowley Lake Community Center, 12 noon.
- Saturday, August 12: Ezakimak Challenge is an uphill 5K sunset race from the base of Mammoth Mountain to the summit.
- Saturday, August 19: Sierra Splash ‘n Dash consists of a pool swim and trail run for kids’ age 7-15 years old.
Check out our website at www.mammothrecreation.com or give the Parks and Recreation Department a call at (760) 965-3690.
It’s All Recreation – All the Time with Parks and Recreation!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive
to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!