Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - December 6, 2018
- Come skate with us this winter at The Mammoth Ice Rink! Offering ice skating lessons, home to the youth and adult hockey leagues, and curling league, as well as public skate, we have a variety of activities for all ages and abilities. See a complete schedule at www.MammothIceRink.com.
- 4th Annual Mammoth Lakes Youth Hockey Outdoor Winter Classic Invitational begins with opening ceremonies on Friday, December 7 at 4:45 p.m. with the National Anthem, banner break and special guest appearances. Free and open to the public, come cheer on these youth hockey teams and give them a Mammoth sized welcome.
- Enjoy FREE Skate Night at the Mammoth Ice Rink on December 14 from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. We offer monthly free skate nights through February to ensure everyone gets a chance to get out on the ice!
- Get in the holiday spirit at the Mammoth Ice Rink with our Skate With Santa and Tea Kettle Curling Night on December 20 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. Get your picture with Santa and skate as a family or try your hand at tea kettle curling.
- Register for Winter Ice Skating lessons today! This 6-week program is designed for Kindergarten through 8th grade of all skating levels! Adult lessons are available by request. Lessons will take place on Mondays at the Mammoth Ice Rink, grades K-1 is from 3:15 to 3:45, grades 2-5 is from 4:00 to 4:30 pm and grades 6-8 is from 4:45-5:15 p.m. Space is limited, $50, build your confidence on the ice and register today!
- The fourth session of Toddler Time starts on January 8. Each four-week session is held on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center. This program is open to all parents with children kindergarten age or younger. Each day will include circle time, songs, books, and a featured letter of the alphabet, a snack, and a craft project. Socialize with other parents and children while teaching your child about basic routines and tasks. Just $48 with a 50% sibling discount; payment is requested at time of enrollment, drop in rates are available. Call Carole Mills at (209) 480-2699 for more information.
- Curling is back! Adult Curling League will begin on January 6. Call your friends, coworkers, and fellow curling enthusiasts and put a team together today! A minimum of four players per team, curling 2x per week on Sundays and Tuesday evenings at 7:00 or 8:15 p.m. The league will conclude with the final playoff match on February 12. Registration opens Saturday, December 8 and costs $150/team.
- Get stoked for winter with The Backcountry Film Festival! Showing in Mammoth Lakes Friday, December 7. Enjoy action packed winter films and support the Friends of the Inyo, $15 admission at the door.
- The Female Perspective: Artist Reception is Friday, December 7 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. at the MAC Gallery and Art Center. Celebrate the many talented female artists participating in this latest exhibit, meet some of the artists, mingle and enjoy!
- Tamarack is open! Get away from it all and enjoy the peace and beauty of xc skiing in the lakes basin. Check out the updated trail status before you head out or their season long classes for adults and children.
- Get in the holiday spirit with Cardinal Village’s 4th Annual Christmas Festival, every Saturday and Sunday through December 16. Shop for gifts, get a Christmas tree, take a photo with Santa, explore a snow maze and more!
- DSES Whiteout Extravaganza is Saturday, December 8 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. at the Mountainside Conference Center. Wear your white and enjoy an evening of good food, live music, dancing, silent auction and more, all supporting Disabled Sports of the Eastern Sierra and the National Wounded Warrior Center.
- Railroad Express at Laws Museum is Saturday, December 8 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fun for the whole family with train rides, live entertainment, crafts and activities and more! Tickets available at the door, $15 for guest 13 and up, $7 for children 3 to 12 and kids under 3 are free.
- Get a laugh at Mammoth Brewery Comedy Night featuring Becky Robinson, this Saturday, December 8 from 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. Ms. Robinson has been on Wild ‘N Out, E! and Comedy Central, check it out this weekend and get your tickets today!
- Free yoga at the Sierra Wellness Center is offered on Tuesdays and Fridays from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. in December. Check out their calendar for more info as well as other programs offered.
- Stuff-A-Bus and Tree Lighting – December 14
- FREE Skate Night at the Mammoth Ice Rink - December 14
- Poetry Out Loud – December 15
- Night of Lights – December 15
- Skate With Santa and Tea Kettle Curling Night - December 20
- Holiday Marketplace – December 20
- December Full Moon Snowshoe Tour- - December 20-21
- Santaville at The Village – December 20-23
- Holiday Arts Marketplace – December 20-31
- June Mountain Opening Day – December 21
- Woolly’s Saturday Parade – December 22
- Crawl for a Cause: Santa Crawl – December 22
- Bucky’s Bonfire at June Mountain – December 22
- Save Our Snow, Drive Electric – December 26-27
- Neil Simon’s Barefoot in the Park – December 20 – January 6
- NYE Family Fun & Fireworks – December 31
- Pen and Ink Pinecone with Julie Rolfe – January 15
- Mammoth Lakes Library December Calendar
- Sierra Wellness Center December Calendar
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Stay warm and enjoy the snow!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!