Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - June 7, 2018
Mammoth Creek Park is currently closed due to the inclusive playground build. A huge thank you to all of our volunteers and donors thus far. We are off to a great start and our two certified playground installers have been blown away by our volunteer’s work ethic and our community support. Please refrain from accessing the park and trails that cross the park during this time as it is an active construction site. The multiuse pathway under the tunnel and along the creek remains open for use.
Come celebrate summer and join us for Opening Day at Whitmore Pool on Saturday, June 16! Enjoy FREE ADMISSION from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Hot dogs and snacks will be for sale and each swimmer is entered into a chance to win a 5-punch pass!
Adult Drop-in Tennis Clinics are available for intermediate and advanced adults every Tuesday and Thursdays from 3:30 until 5:30 p.m. for $10 each. Come improve your strokes at the community center tennis courts every Tuesday and Thursday!
Peapod Playgroups continue in Mammoth on Thursdays from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. and in Crowley Lake on Fridays from 10:30 to 11:30. Sessions meet at their respective community centers and all families with children birth through age five are welcome!
- Mammoth Yoga Festival is underway and continues through Sunday, June 17. Practice yoga with 20 world class instructors in some of the most scenic spots in the Eastern Sierra. This weekend practice, explore, and relax!
- Mammoth Motocross kicks off this weekend with Vet Weekend, this Friday, June 15 through Sunday, June 17. Come watch vets rip around the course for the first time, tickets are available at the gate.
- Mono Basin Bird Chautauqua begins on Friday, June 15 and continues through Sunday, June 17 at Mono Lake. This annual event gathers birders from all over in Lee Vining to enhance their appreciation and understanding of Mono Basin’s diverse and abundant bird life.
- Mammoth Half Marathon & 5K is Sunday, June 17. This picturesque half marathon begins at Horseshoe Lake, runs around Lake Mary, before descending into town. If 13.1 miles sounds a bit too much join the 3.1 mile (5K) and get in on the action!
- Join the Mammoth Lakes Police Department this Saturday, June 17 from 3:00 until 5:00 p.m. for their Dog Licensing Clinic. MLPD will be renewing dog licenses and Alpen Veterinary Clinic will be offering discounted vaccinations and microchipping for both dogs and cats.
- Mammoth Track Club’s Youth Track Club meets on Mondays all summer long from 8:00 to 9:30 at the Whitmore Track. Kids memberships are just $25. Register today!
- Ground Up Climbing Guides is now taking registration for their Advanced Climbing Camp geared towards children ages 8-15. There are four different camps available, beginning July 5, register today!
- Join Mono Lake Reserve History Tours on Fridays and Saturdays beginning this weekend and continuing through September 1 at 10 am or 1:30 pm. for a two-hour tour. Explore the Hidden History of Old Marina in Lee Vining and learn how early residents made their home next to Mono Lake.
- Bodie Sunrise Photo Day is Saturday, June 16. Get early access to the park and capture the beauty of Bodie as the sun comes up.
- Mono Arts Council’s Art and Wine Series continue on Tuesday, June 19 with Landscape Oil Painting with Heidi Goodwin. Heidi will guide you step by step as you create your own landscape oil painting with
- Skip’s Farmers Market begins Wednesday, June 20. Swing by the luxury outlet mall and pick up some locally sourced produce for your culinary creations. The farmers market will run each Wednesday from 4:00 until 7:00 p.m. through the end of October.
- World’s Largest Swim Lesson – June 21
- Summer Movie Series in the Village– starts June 21
- Village Summer Jam – June 22 - 23
- 2018 Village Motocross Bash – June 23
- June Lake Trails Day – June 23
- Bridgeport Trails Day – June 30
- Interpretive Hike at Rock Creek Lakes Resort – June 30
- Mammoth Celebrates the Arts – July 1-4
- Mono Basin Seminars
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!