Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - December 5, 2019
Winter has arrived in Mammoth Lakes! It’s amazing what a difference a week can make. We have fully transitioned from Fall activities to Winter and hope you get outside or join in one of the many festive activities happening in and around Mammoth Lakes this week!
A special thank you this week to my co-worker John Connolly who will be retiring from Parks and Recreation tomorrow. John – thank you for your years of service, you have built a lasting legacy here in Mammoth Lakes. You will be missed. If you want to send John a thank you or farewell email him now at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come support your local hockey players as they battle it out on the ice at the 5th Annual Mammoth Lakes Winter Classic this weekend at the Mammoth Ice Rink. Teams from California and Nevada will compete for glory beginning Friday, December 6 through Sunday, December 8.
Calling all skaters! The Mammoth Ice Rink is now open! Check out www.MammothIceRink.com for a live schedule and join us next Friday, December 13 for a FREE Friday Night Skate beginning at 7:30 p.m. Bring your own skate or enjoys ours while supplies last!
Hot Shots Basketball had their first practice games this week and the level of play and sportsmanship on the court has been amazing to watch. This year we have five teams matching up on Tuesday and Thursday nights to apply the skills they learned this past November in game situations. Still seeking parent volunteers to help coach or ref games.
Gymnastics continues at the community center on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Coach Kinsley is working on her January schedule prior to opening the next session, stay tuned.
The LA Kings Mammoth Lakes Hockey Camp on December 12 through December 15 is sold out!
Toddler Time is back at the Mammoth Lakes Community! Each session works on developing your young child's listening, social and behavior skills so they can transition better into pre-school or elementary school settings. Call or email Carole Mills to register at (209) 480-2699 or email@example.com.
Peadpod takes place at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center every Thursday through November 21 from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. This free program is designed for kids age 0-5 to socialize and develop through play! Check it out with your little one(s) this Thursday!
- The Backcountry Film Festival is back in Mammoth Lakes this Friday, December 6 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m. Get amped for winter with a night of films, beer and prizes at the Mammoth USFS Welcome Center Auditorium.
- Canyon and Eagle Lodge will open Saturday, December 7.
- Get yourself decked out in your whitest of whites and put on your dancing shoes! DSES’ Whiteout Extravaganza is this Saturday, December 7 at Main Lodge. In true Whiteout Extravaganza tradition, it will be snowing. Festivities begin at 6:00 p.m. Get your tickets today!
- Bishop’s Annual Christmas Parade is this Saturday, December 7 beginning at 4:30 p.m. at High Country Lumber and heading north on Main Street followed by the tree lighting ceremony at Bishop City Park. Enjoy free refreshments, caroling, fire rings, Santa and fun for the whole family at this community event!
- Learn to make a foolproof and versatile pie crust with Eastside Bakeshop’s Bake Class on Tuesday, December 10 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Limited spots available, register today!
- Cardinal Village Tree Sale and Christmas Fun continues this weekend (Friday through Sunday) and every weekend through December 22. Santa will be on site every Saturday from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm and Sundays from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm, as well as free ice skating, shopping at the general store, goodies at the Gingerbread Café and a special cookie decorating class on December 13. Festive fun for the whole family!
- December Ikon Pass Early Ups is Sunday, December 8. Ikon pass holders will enjoy exclusive early lift access on select Mammoth trails beginning at 7:30 am followed by a complimentary breakfast at McCoy Station at 8:00 a.m.
- Explore the beauty of the Lakes Basin by moonlight with the Full Moon Snowshoe Tour on December 10 and December 11. Enjoy a guided 1.5 hour tour then head back to Tamarack Lodge for dessert and hot beverages by the fireplace. Price is $65 per person and includes equipment, book your space today!
- Mammoth Music presents Jazz Night on Wednesday, December 11 at Lakanuki. Enjoy Jazz and Holiday music with special performances by MUSD Jazz Combos, Choir and Jazz Ensemble. Festivities begin at 6:00 p.m.
- FREE Friday Night Skate – December 13
- Reindeer Crawl – December 13
- LA Kings Youth Hockey Camp Sold Out – December 13-15
- Free Holiday Concert – December 13
- Night of Lights – December 14
- Backcountry Film Festival Bishop – December 14
- Tannenbaum 10km Classic – December 15
- Skate with Santa and Kettle Curling – December 19
- 2019 Astronomy Fall Lecture Series – December 19
- “A Christmas Carol” – December 20-29
- Mono Arts Council Holiday Marketplace – December 20-31
- Village at Mammoth Holiday Festivities – December 20 – January 3
- MAC Art & Wine: Acrylic Series – December 21
- June Mountain Opening Day – December 21
- Woolly’s Saturday Parade – December 21
- Bucky’s Bonfire – December 28
- Peapods Toddler Playgroup
- Friends of the Inyo Events
- Minaret Cinema’s Movie Theatre
- Mammoth Lakes Library Calendar
- Sierra Wellness Center Calendar
Enjoy your weekend!
* * * * * * *
This complimentary message is being sent to opt-in subscribers who might be interested in its content. If you do not wish to continue receiving these messages, please accept our apologies, and unsubscribe by visiting our website at:
Please note, we will not sell or give your e-mail address to any organization without your explicit permission.